Sunday, May 3, 2009

sooooo tired....

May 2/09...

Such a long day today, still long from over. After a 6 hr bus ride we arrived in Sokcho and went straight into a quick rehearsal, a bit more than the usual soundcheck as we were performing with the Sokcho Choir.

Some free time after ended up being taken up with more rehearsal on some new bits instead of my hoped-for and much needed quiet naptime.

It was great seeing Felipe again, and meeting his young son brought tears to my eyes.

The concert went well, well-attended and very enthusiastic audience, and afterward our fantastic Korean hosts (that phrase seems to crop up a lot) took us to a fantastic buffet dinner, along with lessons on the proper consumption of SOJU, Korean rice liquor, similar to vodka but sweeter & weaker (just under 20%, which made it perfect for community shooting, WIHAIYO!!!!)

For accommodations the choir was put up in a replica of an ancient Korean village, complete with dirt floors and paper walls... five huts in total to house 39 of us (2 of the OBC and 2 married couples were provided alternate arrangements). Sleeping on hardwood floors did a number on my back & hips, but what an experience!

Back at supper when the soju started flowing, I let loose a bit and imbibed a fair whack more than I'd normally do. It was a good decision as I think it helped build some trust & respect between me & the singers who are mostly 10-20 yrs younger than me.

There was some concern that once left alone the evening would degenerate into the traditional choral debauch, but we managed to keep the evening fun while still staying within respectful boundaries... folks needed an opportunity to unwind and let loose a bit after a few very long days with not much free time and little chance to bond.

The cost for me was yet another night with not enough sleep for me (bed after 2, up again about 5:30am), but one I think will pay dividends in the group dynamic.

Not sure when this will get posted, no wifi.



-- Post From My iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I am totally enjoying reading all your posts Wade - thanks for the descriptions and for the smiles I keep breaking into as I read along. Even with the WiFi service being sporadic you seem to be keeping us all up to date just fine!!
    B

    ReplyDelete