Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Start of day 1, or is it day 3?

April 29/09...

7am on Wednesday (3pm Tues afternoon at home), as we lose a day going over the intl date line. When we return, May 18 ends up being a 40 hr day as we land in Vancouver before we take off!

So last night was a bit of a wash... the 'old guys' were actually put in campus dorms rather than homestays, I'm a bit mixed feeling about that. On one side, it would've been nice to get to know our hosts better, although it was nice to just chill in our rooms with a beer, as wiped as we all were.



However by this point I was starved, having been hours since our last meal, and with no hosts to feed us, we were on our own. We ended up going to the local convenience store, but found ourselves unable to decipher most of the packaging, so we bought what we could recognize...



... suffice to say supper did not exceed my expectations. There is apparently a cafeteria in this building that is opening shortly, I think I will go in search of breakfast soon.

There is free wifi on campus, unfortunately it doesn't reach this dormroom, so as I sign off I will be saving this entry to post later when I can get a signal. Needless to say, Skype is also not possible without a decent wifi signal, so no phonecalls home yet.

Update before sending... had brekky at the cafeteria... 2 kinds of kimchee, thin corn broth with sprouts, some sort of thin pork stew & a strange sort of coleslaw with bananas & cucumber, alongside a heap of sticky rice, was very good.

Here's a picture of our residence.



We have a free day until 5pm, so we're hitting the subway to explore. Bye for now.

-- Post From My iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment