Monday, May 4, 2009

Sokcho's full of fun...

May 3/09...

So it turns out Sokcho's a bit of a tourist town, very beautiful, on the coast. I woke up way early, at 5:30am, and enjoyed exploring the grounds of the heritage village on my own in the early sunlight.









I woke the troops at 7 am to get ready for an 8 am bus pickup. Those who were ready early had much fun playing with a collection of stilts...








We climbed up on one of the roofs at 7:30 am to renew an old choral tradition of singing Salish Song from rooftop, much fun!




After breakfast we were bussed out to Expo Park, where many of us rented these little electric motorbikes... most fun I've had in ages!




Afterwards it was back to the heritage village where we were treated to a Korean drum and dance show, was quite incredible!








Next on hand was a trip to the temple of some Buddhist offshoot cult and lunch.












After lunch we said our last goodbyes to Felipe and son...



... and headed back to Expo Park where we had a much-needed couple of hours freetime.



Finally we left Sokcho on the bus to head to tonight's accommodations, a Buddhist Temple! Ok, for some of the more spiritually-inclined in the group, I can understand that this is a very special experience for them, and I'm happy for them and don't want to get in the way of that, but this back-to-nature vegetarian crap is for the birds. I'm a city boy through and through, and I'm grateful that our temple dormroom has electricity so I can charge the iPhone. Folks are off at meditation right now, I chose to hit the rack early in hopes of getting to sleep before the others come back for 9:30pm lights-out. G'nite, I hope to get this posted sometime tomorrow afternoon.

May 4/09...

Well, it's 10:30am now, and for me at least not enough activity to warrant another entry, so I'll just append to this one. I've been sleeping since about 8pm last night, much overdue I must say. There were several services and meditations that we were invited to attend, but I needed sleep more. Breakfast was @ 6am but I wasn't the least bit hungry, so I stayed in and continued resting. There was also an 8km mountain hike, and I'm sure you can guess my feelings about that! The bus for our final Korean destination, Yang Yang, leaves at about 11am... will write more then.


-- Post From My iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment