Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Goodbye Korea...

Tuesday, May 5th...

Well, the first leg of our tour is complete... breakfast was a buffet which included sort-of Western food as well as Korean... so I had a platefull of cocktail weenies, scrambled eggs, frenchfries and a bowl of chocolatey cereal (Chex?).... yeah, not healthy but it went down real well!

8am our bus departed Yangyang for a drive down past Seoul to Incheon. Traffic was expected to be very heavy, thus the plan for a 6-7 hour drive, however it turned out to be quite light, so we are stopped in Incheon for a 2 hour lunch/shopping break before heading to the airport for a 4:30pm check in.

Right now I'm sitting in an internet cafe (or PC room here)... the iPhone's low on batteries, so it's plugged into the USB port to recharge while I'm getting caught up on email and blog entried. It's nice to use a real keyboard again.

I have no idea what sort of connectivity I can expect in Cambodia, although we are staying in a 2-3 star hotel (whatever the hell that means)... so hopefully they'll have some wifi available. Being able to email and phone Mickie & Steven now and then is making being away from home a lot easier... a good chunk of the sadness I was feeling the past couple days was due to not having a good enough signal to keep in touch.

Been having a lot of great conversations with other singers on tour in terms of what to expect next year. When Bruce & I first started speaking about me taking over PRIMA next year, he said I was under no obligation to continue the touring tradition... however many singers made it clear to me that touring was a major part of their choral experience and in some cases was the deciding factor in choosing to join PRIMA, so I don't see how I can give it up. Choir tours were a very important part of my student life at UVic.

That's all for now, I'll hopefully be able to update this once I'm in Cambodia.

IMPORTANT BULGOGI UPDATE!!!!

Coming out of the PC room there was a promising looking sign right next door, we peeked in and saw it was a proper bulgogi shack! So we went in & ordered up a big plate of raw, spicy marinated pork to cook at the table with sesame & lettuce leaves and all the normal accompanying bits, man was it ever good, and cheap! All 4 of us ate well for about $20! Try that @ McRaunchy's.

We're sitting in the airport now, flight for Cambodia leaves in about an hour, what a great way to end our last Korean day.

No comments:

Post a Comment